Making nutritious, delicious ham bone broth in an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is super easy! Ham bone broth makes a fantastic base for soup. You can also use it to cook amazing beans or fantastic greens! As with all bone broths, it’s great to sip on if you have a cold or flu. If you don’t have an immediate need for the broth, freeze it and use it when you’re ready to cook something delicious!
To get all the great minerals out of a bone, you have to cook it a long, long time. An electric pressure cooker is the perfect appliance for making bone broth because the high pressure causes the bone to release it’s nutrients very quickly. Bone broth can take 24 hours or more to make on the stove top or even in a slow cooker. In the Instant Pot you can have top quality, highly nutritious ham bone broth ready in about 4 hours. I always make mine in the evening, letting it cook for 2 hours and then allowing it to depressurize normally during the night while I sleep. In the morning, the broth is finished and cooled.
Below is my easy recipe for ham bone broth
- Tip: I never throw away a good bone! When we finish a ham, I freeze the bone until I’m ready to make ham bone broth. With the Instant Pot pressure cooker, you can make broth with a frozen bone, so no need to allow time for thawing.
- Ham bone (all natural)
- Filtered water
- Sea salt
- Place ham bone in pot and add filtered water to cover bone or to fill pot 3/4 full. Never fill pot more than 3/4 full.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 120 minutes.
- Let pot depressurize normally.
- When depressurized, remove the bone and strain broth to remove any small pieces of bone and junk. (Pick the meat off the bone and eat or save for another recipe).
- Cover the broth and refrigerate to solidify the fat.
- When fat is hard, remove it and discard.
- Taste broth and add salt if desired.
If you’re looking for another bone broth recipe, check out my Instant Pot Turkey Bone Broth recipe.